5 Air Purifying Indoor Plants Must Have for Your Home 🌿👩🌾💚
We are not only surrounded by a polluted outdoor air but many times, the air inside our home is also not clean. The indoor pollution is considered as the reason behind a large number of short term and long-term health problems. The carpeting, insulation, cooking fumes, furniture wax, and paints are familiar sources of pollution.
NASA conducted a study and found some specific plants that can contribute significantly towards cleaner indoor air. The NASA Clean Air Study reported that several indoor plants are beneficial for purifying the indoor air. Some plants from the list are:
Best Air Purifying Plants for Homes
- English Ivy
- Rubber Plant
- Areca Palm
- ZZ Plant
- Spider Plant
- Money Plant/Golden Pothos/Devil’s Ivy
- Peace Lilly
- Chinese evergreen
- Bamboo Palm
- Variegated Sansevieria
- Aloe Vera
Let’s learn about five commonly available plants from the above list in detail:
The Rubber Plant is a beautiful burgundy colour plant with leathery leaves. The plant also comes in a variegated variety. This plant helps in removing formaldehyde from indoor air. Formaldehyde can have adverse effects on our health. The plant likes medium sunlight and moist soil. If you want a bushier Rubber Plant, try trimming it from the top. This will make the plant develop a thicker and bushier shape
Areca Palm is available in the market in a variety of sizes. Areca Palm helps in absorbing Benzene and Formaldehyde from indoor air. Benzene is generally released in our home from paint, detergents, and furniture wax. Areca likes low sunlight and moist roots. Care should be taken to prevent overwatering. The plant may turn yellow or brown due to exposure to the bright Sun or overwatering.
The ZZ plant removes xylene and Toluene from indoor air. The plant hates overwatering and needs to be watered only once in 15 days. Try to save the plant from direct sunlight.
Spider Plant is the most comfortable house plant when it comes to maintenance. The plant is not at all demanding. The spider plant can remove carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, and xylene from indoor air. It is perfect for a home with pets who might eat plants because this is a non-toxic plant.
Money Plant / Golden Pothos / Devil’s Ivy
Money Plant or Golden Pothos is also very easy to grow an indoor plant that removes harmful chemicals from indoor air. The plant does well in moderate to low sunlight. The plant hates to be over watered or under-watered. Refer to the article: for knowing more about Pothos care.
NASA recommends that there should be 8-10 medium-sized plants in 800 to 1000 sq feet of space
The Indoor Plants in the list are not only useful for purifying indoor air, but they also help in adding beauty to your home. They make excellent decoration pieces.
You will thank GetMyHarvest.com the day someone compliments you on how green and nature-friendly your home looks! 🌿👩🌾💚
Recommended Products for Growing Air Purifying Indoor Plants at Home
|Self Watering Pots||https://amzn.to/2Gqyg6N|
Denisa, H., Cantor, M., Buta, E., & Andriescu, I. (2012). Benefits and positive effects of some houseplants on indoor air quality. Agricultura, Revistă de ştiinţă şi practică agricolă, 1-2.
Wolverton, B. C., Johnson, A., & Bounds, K. (1989). Interior landscape plants for indoor air pollution abatement.
Wong, J. (2020). Cleaning the air. New Scientist, 247(3290), 21.
Related Articles and Tips
- Lettuce Salad Recipe | Super Quick and Healthy
- Easy Recipe for Phirni | How to make Amritsari Firni at home
- Masoor Dal Pancake Recipe / Masoor Dal Dosa Recipe
- How to attract butterflies to your garden?
- Suji Toast / Rava Toast / Semoline and Vegetables Toast
- One Pot Pav Bhaji | Special Twist for Fussy Eaters
- Bajra Khichdi |Bajra and Moong Dal Khichdi | Easy Pearl Millet Recipe
- Moringa, Curry Leaf, and Coconut Chutney | Easy Moringa Recipe
- The Best Grilled Vegetables | Easy Grilled Vegetables
- Suji Gur Ka Halwa | Low Calorie Sheera Recipe | Semolina Pudding
- Mix Veg Recipe | Quick and Easy Way to Eat a Rainbow
- How to Improve Concentration Levels of Kids | Role of Plants in Anger Management | List of Plants to keep near your Desk
- How to Attract Birds to your Gardens and Balconies: List of Plants that Attract Birds
- Best Plants for Hanging Baskets
- Easy Mediterranean Orange Pomegranate Salad Recipe
- Avocado and Lotus Root Canapes Recipe
- Bitter Gourd Paratha Recipe
- Jowar Khichdi Recipe
- How to Grow Kalanchoe Plant? Kalanchoe Plant Care Tips
- Winter Green Salad Recipe
- Quick Vegetables Stir Fry Recipe
- Immunity Boosting Fruits Rich in Vitamin C
- Gardening Tips for Beginners | Kitchen Gardening Tips
- Immunity Boosting Vegetables Rich in Vitamin C
- How to Get Rid of Mealybugs on Plants? Mealybugs Treatment on Plants
Thank you so much for sharing this article. It was of great help. I could decide easily which plants to order on Amazon.
Thanks for sharing the list of indoor plants.
Excellent Article. I have ordered all these plants on Amazon. I agree with you that we have no control on outdoor pollution. However, if plants can naturally help to reduce indoor pollution then, there is Nothing better than that..
I never knew ZZ Plant and Spider Plant are also indoor plants and can improve indoor air quality. Thanks for sharing the list of plants. Appreciate your efforts.
Awesome Article. Thanks for sharing the list of Plants what can purify the indoor air.
Thanks for sharing this article.