Hanging Baskets are a beautiful way to add more greenery to our surroundings. They look pretty and are easy to care for. I believe that hanging baskets have the potential to transform a dull corner of your garden or courtyard. The hanging baskets can be a perfect solution for urban gardeners who find lack of space an issue. It is always a good idea to take advantage of the possibilities of vertical real estate, no matter how much horizontal real estate is possible.
Hanging baskets also offer the advantage of protecting your herbs and plants from pests and predators because they are in an elevated position.
GetMyHarvest Recipe for Soil Mix for Hanging Baskets
- 1 part Coco Peat
- 1 Part Compost
- 1 Part Garden Soil
- 1 Part Perlite
Please remember that you will have to vary the composition depending on the plant you are growing. For instance, evergreens like Turtle Vine require no fertilizer at all.
Lining the Hanging Basket
You can line the hanging basket with coco coir or coco liner so that it can retain maximum moisture. But make sure you make holes in the liner to allow the water to drain out and reduce the risk of root rot.
It is also recommended to add a layer of plastic cover, especially in the middle. If you decide to line the entire basket with a plastic sheet, make sure you make holes in it.
Things to keep in mind while growing plants in hanging baskets
- Avoid growing loam-based potting soils or just clayey soils in hanging baskets, as they are heavy and will put extra strain on the hanging baskets.
- Hanging baskets tend to dry very quickly, especially if they are planted in full sun, and hence they must be watered almost every day.
- Add organic fertilizer regularly if you are growing a plant that requires it because many nutrients leach out every time you water hanging baskets because of the excellent drainage available.
- When it comes to herbs or flowers, you can try packing all the plants because this would make the basket look attractive.
- Consider using Cocopeat, perlite, and peat moss in your hanging basket to prevent them from becoming too heavy.
The Flowering Plants for Hanging Basket Include:
- Sweet Alyssum
The flowering plants require full sun in order to bloom properly.
The Vegetables / Fruits that can be grown in Hanging Baskets include:
- Cherry tomatoes
- Mustard Greens
These will require full sun.
Recommended Products for Setting a Hanging Basket Garden
Non-Flowering Plants for Hanging Baskets
- Turtle Vine
- Bolivian Jew / Creeping Inch Plant
- String of Pearls
- English Ivy
- Golden Pothos
- Sedum morganianum
- Spider Plants
- String of Hearts
These can grow in Sun or Shade.
Here’s a Tip: Hanging Baskets require zero landscaping and are perfect for owners as well as renters. If you want to plant something in a hanging basket and forget about it, I recommend Turtle Vine. Refer to GetMyHarvest YouTube Channel’s Video on growing Turtle Vine if you are keen on knowing more about the plant.
More Gardening Tips for Plant Lovers…
- How to Improve Concentration Levels of Kids | Role of Plants in Anger Management | List of Plants to keep near your Desk
- How to Attract Birds to your Gardens and Balconies: List of Plants that Attract Birds
- Best Plants for Hanging Baskets
- How to Grow Kalanchoe Plant? Kalanchoe Plant Care Tips
- Gardening Tips for Beginners | Kitchen Gardening Tips
- How to Get Rid of Mealybugs on Plants? Mealybugs Treatment on Plants
- 5 Essential Gardening Tools for the Beginners
- Self Watering Pots | Self Watering Containers | Indoor Plant Care Tips
- How to Keep Garden Grass Green: Lawn Care Tips
- How to Use Cocopeat in Plants? | Coconut Coir Potting Mix
Healthy Recipes for your Loved Ones…
- The Best Grilled Vegetables | Easy Grilled Vegetables
- Suji Gur Ka Halwa | Low Calorie Sheera Recipe | Semolina Pudding
- Mix Veg Recipe | Quick and Easy Way to Eat a Rainbow
- Easy Mediterranean Orange Pomegranate Salad Recipe
- Avocado and Lotus Root Canapes Recipe
- Bitter Gourd Paratha Recipe
- Jowar Khichdi Recipe
- Winter Green Salad Recipe
- Quick Vegetables Stir Fry Recipe
- Curry Leaf Raita Recipe
- Recipe: Corn on the Cob with Spiced Butter
- Recipe: How to Make a Lime Marmalade | Lime Jam Recipe | Lime Marmalade Recipe
- Cherry Tomato Salad Recipe | Healthy Recipe 🍅 🥗
- Frio Mint – A Low Fat Mint Drink for Mint Lovers