Best recipes don’t have to be complicated!
Phirni, also called Firni, is a slow-cooked Indian sweet pudding made with rice, milk, sugar, nuts, and scented with cardamom and saffron. It is cooked for festivals and special occasions. It is cooked on the slow flame, giving it a creamy, rich, thick texture.
The recipe for firni being shared here is super special because my father has shared it with me. My father is an eye doctor by profession but a fantastic home cook. I love this dessert because it isn’t deep-fried or heavy on sugar content. So, here’s the recipe of my Father’s Special Phirni. If you try it and face any issues, drop your comments or questions below the article. Don’t forget to write that too because that would make my father super happy if you loved it.
Ingredients for making Phirni
- 1 litre full-fat milk (you can replace it with skimmed milk, but it won’t taste as good)
- 50g Rice powder (Soak the rice for 15-20 minutes and grind them in a mixer. Alternatively, you can also buy rice powder)
- 100 g Sugar
- Saffron – 2 pinches
- Cardomom / Elaichi – 2
Directions for Making Amritsari Phirni
- Take out one cup of cold whole fat milk from 1 liter of milk and warm the rest of full-fat milk in a pot with a thick base, preferably. This will prevent the phirni from sticking too quickly at the bottom.
- Keep the cup of cold milk separate for later use.
- Crush 2 cardamom pods and take out half a mug of warm milk from the bigger pot. Add the crushed cardamom and a pinch of saffron to this milk and keep aside to infuse the flavors nicely.
- Mix 50g of rice powder in the cup of cold milk that we had separated in the first step. Stir continuously to remove lumps.
- Make sure the bigger pot is on a low flame at all times.
- Add this rice powder mix to the bigger pot of milk and stir continuously.
- Add 100grams of sugar once the milk with rice powder starts thickening.
- The best test method is to look for soft rice particles on a spatula coated with phirni mix from the big pot.
- If the mixture is coating the spatula well and the rice particles are soft, add the milk with cardamom and saffron aside for infusing.
- Chop and add four almonds and four cashew nuts. The almonds can be deskinned by soaking them in a water bowl and heating them.
- Turn off the heat once the proper consistency has been achieved.
- Pour into bowls garnish with saffron, cashews, and almonds. You can also use rice petals to garnish.
- Refrigerate for best results.
Don’t forget to share your experience with the recipe in the comments below the article.
Here’s a Tip: This is a perfect dish for feeding toddlers and kids because it is wholesome, and you can powder the nuts or skip adding them if there is a risk of choking.
More healthy recipes…
- Easy Recipe for Phirni | How to make Amritsari Firni at home
- Masoor Dal Pancake Recipe / Masoor Dal Dosa Recipe
- Suji Toast / Rava Toast / Semoline and Vegetables Toast
- One Pot Pav Bhaji | Special Twist for Fussy Eaters
- Bajra Khichdi |Bajra and Moong Dal Khichdi | Easy Pearl Millet Recipe
- Moringa, Curry Leaf, and Coconut Chutney | Easy Moringa Recipe
- The Best Grilled Vegetables | Easy Grilled Vegetables
- Mix Veg Recipe | Quick and Easy Way to Eat a Rainbow
- Easy Mediterranean Orange Pomegranate Salad Recipe
- Avocado and Lotus Root Canapes Recipe
- Bitter Gourd Paratha Recipe
- Jowar Khichdi Recipe
- Winter Green Salad Recipe
- Quick Vegetables Stir Fry Recipe
- Curry Leaf Raita Recipe
- Recipe: Corn on the Cob with Spiced Butter
- Recipe: How to Make a Lime Marmalade | Lime Jam Recipe | Lime Marmalade Recipe
- Cherry Tomato Salad Recipe | Healthy Recipe 🍅 🥗
- Frio Mint – A Low Fat Mint Drink for Mint Lovers
- How to attract butterflies to your garden? | Butterfly Garden
- How to Improve Concentration Levels of Kids | Role of Plants in Anger Management | List of Plants to keep near your Desk
- How to Attract Birds to your Gardens and Balconies: List of Plants that Attract Birds
- Best Plants for Hanging Baskets
- How to Grow Kalanchoe Plant? Kalanchoe Plant Care Tips
- Gardening Tips for Beginners | Kitchen Gardening Tips
- How to Get Rid of Mealybugs on Plants? Mealybugs Treatment on Plants
- 5 Essential Gardening Tools for the Beginners
- Self Watering Pots | Self Watering Containers | Indoor Plant Care Tips
- How to Keep Garden Grass Green: Lawn Care Tips
- How to Use Cocopeat in Plants? | Coconut Coir Potting Mix