Gardening Tips for Beginners | Kitchen Gardening Tips | Balcony Gardening Tips | Container Gardening Tips | Succulent Care Tips | Tips for Beginners for Gardening
If you have just begun Gardening or have been gardening for a while, it is always a good idea to know some essential gardening tips and tricks for ensuring quick success with your efforts. In this article, you will learn about the Top 7 Gardening Tips for Beginners:
- When to repot your plant?
- Importance of loosening the soil
- Use of dried leaves and grass clippings
- Adequate watering of plants
- You can propagate many plants from their cuttings
- Plants need to be pruned regularly
- Observe your plants carefully
When to repot your plant?
There is denying that one must repot one’s plant to save it. A plant should be repotted in two cases. The first case is when the plant is root-bound. For a plant to be root bound, it will fail to grow well. There will be more roots in the pot and less soil. This will mean that the plant needs to be shifted to a bigger container. The best way to know this is when the plant roots start coming out of the bottom drainage hole of the pot. Another sign would be when the water starts dripping out of the pot’s bottom holes almost immediately when you water. The second case for repotting is when you think that the pot has fungus or you have overwatered the plant, and it seems to be rotting. Other than these two reasons, you must never repot a plant.
Importance of Loosening the soil
It would help if you took out time to regularly loosening the soil around your plants in pots or garden beds. This is especially crucial for clayey soils. It is essential to let the moisture and air to reach the roots of our plants. Use a hand trowel to loosen the soil around your plants gently.
Use of dried leaves and grass clippings
The dried leaves and grass clippings after mowing the lawn are a natural fertilizer. They are an excellent source of mulch and nutrition for the plants. The soil’s temperature in your garden beds and pots can stay regulated if you keep dried leaves on it. You can add grass clippings and dried leaves to the compost bin.
Adequate watering of plants
The biggest issue with watering is to prevent your plants from being overwatered. Most of the houseplants are killed because of overwatering. The best way to understand if the pot needs to be watered is to stick your finger in the pot or rub it gently over the topsoil. If any soil sticks, it means that plant doesn’t need to be watered. And when you water, please water thoroughly until the water starts dripping out of the pot’s bottom holes.
When it comes to busy or forgetful gardeners, I recommend using self-watering pots. These pots take care of the plant(Refer to my article on Self-watering pots)
Many plants can be propagated from their cuttings
There are loads of plants that can be propagated from cuttings. Your Gardener may not tell you this, but most plant nurseries also do the same. Before you step out to buy a new plant, check if you already have a plant that can be propagated from cuttings. There are some varieties that can be propagated in soil and some others in the water. Here’s my list of the names of a few plants that can be propagated from cuttings:
- Jade Plant
- Snake Plant
- Rhoeo Plant
- English Ivy
- Arrow Head
- Snake Plant
- Money Plant
- Golden Pothos
- Devil’s Ivy
Plants need to be pruned regularly
It is essential to prune your plants regularly to stimulate growth points. Regular pruning also makes the plant bushy and encourages flowers. But it would help if you held any pruning or cutting in winters because the plant growth is slow in this season. Use a pruner or pruning scissors and never try to use blunt scissors to damage the plant. Pruning works the best for rose, hibiscus, Bougainvillea, etc.
Observe your Plants Carefully
The final tip for beginners in Gardening is to observe their plants more carefully. You will understand their needs and issues in a better manner if you look at them more carefully.
Related Articles and Tips
- 5 Air Purifying Indoor Plants Must Have for Your Home
- How to attract butterflies to your garden? | Butterfly Garden
- Lettuce Salad Recipe | Super Quick and Healthy
- Easy Recipe for Phirni | How to make Amritsari Firni at home
- Masoor Dal Pancake Recipe / Masoor Dal Dosa Recipe
- Suji Toast / Rava Toast / Semoline and Vegetables Toast
- One Pot Pav Bhaji | Special Twist for Fussy Eaters
- Bajra Khichdi |Bajra and Moong Dal Khichdi | Easy Pearl Millet Recipe
- Moringa, Curry Leaf, and Coconut Chutney | Easy Moringa Recipe
- The Best Grilled Vegetables | Easy Grilled Vegetables
- Suji Gur Ka Halwa | Low Calorie Sheera Recipe | Semolina Pudding
- Mix Veg Recipe | Quick and Easy Way to Eat a Rainbow
- How to Improve Concentration Levels of Kids | Role of Plants in Anger Management | List of Plants to keep near your Desk
- How to Attract Birds to your Gardens and Balconies: List of Plants that Attract Birds
- Best Plants for Hanging Baskets
- Easy Mediterranean Orange Pomegranate Salad Recipe
- Avocado and Lotus Root Canapes Recipe
- Bitter Gourd Paratha Recipe
- Jowar Khichdi Recipe
- How to Grow Kalanchoe Plant? Kalanchoe Plant Care Tips
- Winter Green Salad Recipe
- Quick Vegetables Stir Fry Recipe
- Immunity Boosting Fruits Rich in Vitamin C
- Gardening Tips for Beginners | Kitchen Gardening Tips
- Immunity Boosting Vegetables Rich in Vitamin C