Broccoli is one of those vegetables you either love it a lot or you hate it a lot. Broccoli is a good source of Calcium, Vitamin K, Magnesium, and Zinc. It is also a very rich source of fiber and protein. Broccoli is considered a “Super Food” because it contains antioxidants that prevent Cancer.
If you love to have butterflies in your garden then read How to Attract Butterflies to your Garden.
Growing Broccoli 🥦 is Super Easy | Broccoli Plant Care Tips
In this article, you will learn about the following:
- The correct way to sow the Seeds of Broccoli
- Caring for Broccoli Baby Plants
- Transplanting the Broccoli Baby Plants to Garden beds or Containers
- Caring for the Broccoli Plants
- Knowing When & How to Harvest Broccoli
Step 1: The correct way to sow the Seeds of Broccoli
Buy good quality Broccoli Seeds. You need to prepare a seed tray with Coco Peat / Coco Coir and sow one seed each in the cup-like slots of the seed tray. Water the seed trays twice a day to keep the coco peat moist.
Step 2: Caring for Broccoli Baby Plants
You will see Broccoli seeds sprouting in 2 weeks after sowing. Nurture your baby plants by watering the trays twice a day. The plants will get bigger in 4 weeks. They will be ready for transplanting to seedbeds / containers / pots in 6 weeks after the sowing of seeds.
Alternatively you can also buy baby Broccoli plants from a Plant nursery near you if you do not want to spend an extra six weeks sowing and nurturing the baby plants.
Step 3: Transplanting the Broccoli Baby Plants to Garden beds or Containers
The baby Broccoli plants need to be planted 15 to 19 inches apart because if you plant them too close, the flowers will be smaller, and sometimes the plant might not produce any flower at all. The plant will also be more susceptible to attack by pests.
Note: Do not worry if you can’t find a sunny spot for your Broccoli plants. They do perfectly well in partial sun or in a spot where only 3 to 4 hours of sun is available.
Step 4: Caring for the Broccoli Plants
The Broccoli plants need to be helped by loosing the soil around them and then supporting the main stem with a mountain of soil around it as the plant grows bigger. If your area has naughty birds, you might have to hide the Broccoli flower by either tying the leaves around it gently or placing a Broccoli leaf on the flower.
Step 5: Knowing When & How to Harvest Broccoli
Broccoli needs to be harvested when the head is firm and tight. It will usually happen five months after the seed germination. It is important to note that Broccoli Plant can give multiple harvests, so care should be taken to carefully harvest the central flower. Don’t pull out the Broccoli plant after you have harvested the central flower because it will surprise you with several smaller side flowers. I suggest using a sharp scissor or a pruner to harvest the Broccoli. I can GetMyHarvest 4-5 times in a season from a single Broccoli Plant.
Here’s a Tip: Plant Broccoli’s and Onions together to improve the flavor of Broccoli
Recommended Products for Growing Broccoli at Home
Related Articles and Tips
- How to attract butterflies to your garden? | Butterfly Garden
- Lettuce Salad Recipe | Super Quick and Healthy
- Easy Recipe for Phirni | How to make Amritsari Firni at home
- Masoor Dal Pancake Recipe / Masoor Dal Dosa Recipe
- Suji Toast / Rava Toast / Semoline and Vegetables Toast
- One Pot Pav Bhaji | Special Twist for Fussy Eaters
- Bajra Khichdi |Bajra and Moong Dal Khichdi | Easy Pearl Millet Recipe
- Moringa, Curry Leaf, and Coconut Chutney | Easy Moringa Recipe
- The Best Grilled Vegetables | Easy Grilled Vegetables
- Suji Gur Ka Halwa | Low Calorie Sheera Recipe | Semolina Pudding
- Mix Veg Recipe | Quick and Easy Way to Eat a Rainbow
- How to Improve Concentration Levels of Kids | Role of Plants in Anger Management | List of Plants to keep near your Desk
- How to Attract Birds to your Gardens and Balconies: List of Plants that Attract Birds
- Best Plants for Hanging Baskets
- Easy Mediterranean Orange Pomegranate Salad Recipe
- Avocado and Lotus Root Canapes Recipe
- Bitter Gourd Paratha Recipe
- Jowar Khichdi Recipe
- How to Grow Kalanchoe Plant? Kalanchoe Plant Care Tips
- Winter Green Salad Recipe
- Quick Vegetables Stir Fry Recipe
- Immunity Boosting Fruits Rich in Vitamin C
- Gardening Tips for Beginners | Kitchen Gardening Tips
- Immunity Boosting Vegetables Rich in Vitamin C
- How to Get Rid of Mealybugs on Plants? Mealybugs Treatment on Plants