Caring for a Curry Leaf Plant | Curry Leaf Plant Care Tips | How to Grow Curry Leaf Plant from Seeds | How to Grow Curry Leaf Plant from Cuttings
Curry leaf plant is a must-have plant in your collection of plants for kitchen gardening. It is a highly aromatic plant and used primarily for flavoring the south Indian dishes. The plant grows very well in garden beds or pots and containers. Curry leaf plants are easy to grow and maintain. The plant can have slow growth and, in fact, sometimes no increase in winters, but it doesn’t die.
Did you know? Curry leaves are used not only for culinary purposes but also for medicinal purposes. Curry Leaves are good for diabetes, eyesight, elimination of bacteria, hair growth, and overall digestion (Singh, More & Mohan, 2014).
In this article, you will learn about the following:
- Process of taking a cutting – Yes, you can grow curry leaf plant from stem
- Progress of the cutting
- Process with Seed
- Progress of the plant started from seed
- Caring for a Curry Leaf Plant
Did you know? You can grow curry leaf plant from cuttings / stem
Step 1: Process of taking the cutting
The best time to start the cuttings is the rainy season months of July, August, and September. The curry leaf cutting cannot be started in winters. Catch hold of a long branch of a curry leaf tree. The branch will have three parts.
• The Soft Wood: Light green, soft with a dense network of branches
• The Semi Hardwood: Green in color but not as hard
• The Hardwood: Brown and very hard
The branch needs to be divided into three parts using a pruner. The lower part of the hardwood part of the branch needs to be cut at a 45-degree angle with the help of a sharp pruner. This cutting needs to be placed inside a small pot with Coco Peat (Learn How to Use Coco Peat and its Advantages). You can also start the cutting in a garden bed, but we recommend starting it in a pot. It is essential to water this cutting twice a day for the first 15 days and then once a day.
Step 2: Progress of the cutting
You will see small growths on the cutting in 15-20 days. If you pull the cutting out of the coco peat, you will also be able to see roots getting developed. Continue to grow the cutting for some more time and transplant it into a bigger pot or garden bed before the rainy season ends..
Step 3: Process with Seed
The curry leaf seeds can also be obtained in abundance from an already growing bigger plant after the flowering season, usually in July. Sow the seeds in small pots or seed trays. The trays or pots must have the growing medium coco peat in them.
Step 4: Progress of the seedling
The seed will start sprouting in 30 days and will be able to grow several leaves in 60 days. We recommend transplanting the plant to a bigger pot or garden bed at this stage. Please refer to my video on how to grow a curry leaf plant for more significant details.
Step 5: Caring for the Curry Leaf Plant
Trim and shape your curry leaf plant regularly with a sharp pruner. If you trim the plant regularly, it will become bushier. If you do not want it to grow into a large tree, keep it cut, and it will grow a bushy plant with a short height.
Here’s a Tip: Try making chutney out of curry leaves and pair it with fried snacks or idlis. Curry Leaf Chutney is not only tasty but also healthy..
Recommended Gardening Products for Growing Plants at Home
|Safety Gum Boots||https://amzn.to/33IRWfM|
Related Articles and Tips
- The Best Grilled Vegetables | Easy Grilled Vegetables
- Suji Gur Ka Halwa | Low Calorie Sheera Recipe | Semolina Pudding
- Mix Veg Recipe | Quick and Easy Way to Eat a Rainbow
- How to Improve Concentration Levels of Kids | Role of Plants in Anger Management | List of Plants to keep near your Desk
- How to Attract Birds to your Gardens and Balconies: List of Plants that Attract Birds
- Best Plants for Hanging Baskets
- Easy Mediterranean Orange Pomegranate Salad Recipe
- Avocado and Lotus Root Canapes Recipe
- Bitter Gourd Paratha Recipe
- Jowar Khichdi Recipe
- How to Grow Kalanchoe Plant? Kalanchoe Plant Care Tips
- Winter Green Salad Recipe
- Quick Vegetables Stir Fry Recipe
- Immunity Boosting Fruits Rich in Vitamin C
- Gardening Tips for Beginners | Kitchen Gardening Tips
- Immunity Boosting Vegetables Rich in Vitamin C
- How to Get Rid of Mealybugs on Plants? Mealybugs Treatment on Plants
- 5 Essential Gardening Tools for the Beginners
- How to Grow Lots of Ginger in Containers at Home | How to Grow Ginger at Home
- Plant Art: How to Make a Terrarium?
- Curry Leaf Raita Recipe
- Recipe: Corn on the Cob with Spiced Butter
- 5 Air Purifying Indoor Plants Must Have for Your Home
- Self Watering Pots | Self Watering Containers | Indoor Plant Care Tips
- Recipe: How to Make a Lime Marmalade | Lime Jam Recipe | Lime Marmalade Recipe