You don’t always need a stove and heating for preparing a plate of food.
I always dreamt of cooking straight from my garden, and my dream came true with this dish. If you have not experienced that, you must. It is such a delight to harvest and eat by skipping all of the steps involved in processing the food. The food that we get in the supermarkets does travel a lot.
I am known amongst my friend circle for salads. This is one of the simpler versions I do. I am not a mayonnaise lover, and you won’t find me adding it to my salads. But if you are area, please feel free to add that. I know I can survive off my balcony and gardens if I can’t source food outside with dishes and ideas like this. Can you?
Ingredients for making Lettuce Salad
- Fresh Lettuce Leaves – 1 ½ cups
- Fresh Nasturtium Leaves (3-4)
- 1 Red Radish Small (Thinly sliced) (You can replace it with the usual white radish)
- One cup Tomatoes (cut into strips)
- Half Red Onion (Sliced into half rings)
- Half an Apple (Cut into Matchsticks)
- 1 Teaspoon – Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 Table Spoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon – Lemon Juice
- Walnut halves – 5-7
- A pinch of black pepper
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (optional)
Directions for making Lettuce Salad
- Take Lettuce Leaves and Nasturtium Leaves. Remove the Nasturtium stems. It is alright if you cannot access nasturtium leaves. However, they are an excellent addition to the salad because of the peppery punch.
- When using fresh leaves for consuming raw, it is essential to wash them thoroughly. If your leaves are not fresh enough, you can soak them in ice-cold water, and they will become fresher and crunchier as well.
- Make sure you pat dry all the leaves gently with a paper towel. Be careful not to bruise them.
- Cut the lettuce leaves into bite-size pieces. I usually do that with a pair of sharp scissors.
- Take a big bowl and add the chopped lettuce leaves into it. Add the nasturtium leaves, Apple MatchSticks, Tomato, Raddish, Onion, Pumpkin Seeds, Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon Juice and walnut halves. Give all of this a mix in that big bowl.
- Take a dish for plating. Plate up the ingredients from the bowl. Put the boiled egg slices and garnish with some black pepper.
Here’s a Tip: You can roast the walnuts to give the salad a nice crunch and flavor. Go ahead and replace walnuts with Almonds, Peanuts, Pine nuts, or even Cashew nuts. The salad can be eaten on its own or with roasted chicken and grilled vegetables.
Some more healthy recipes…
- Easy Recipe for Phirni | How to make Amritsari Firni at home
- Masoor Dal Pancake Recipe / Masoor Dal Dosa Recipe
- Suji Toast / Rava Toast / Semoline and Vegetables Toast
- One Pot Pav Bhaji | Special Twist for Fussy Eaters
- Bajra Khichdi |Bajra and Moong Dal Khichdi | Easy Pearl Millet Recipe
- Moringa, Curry Leaf, and Coconut Chutney | Easy Moringa Recipe
- The Best Grilled Vegetables | Easy Grilled Vegetables
- Mix Veg Recipe | Quick and Easy Way to Eat a Rainbow
- Easy Mediterranean Orange Pomegranate Salad Recipe
- Avocado and Lotus Root Canapes Recipe
- Bitter Gourd Paratha Recipe
- Jowar Khichdi Recipe
- Winter Green Salad Recipe
- Quick Vegetables Stir Fry Recipe
- Curry Leaf Raita Recipe
- Recipe: Corn on the Cob with Spiced Butter
- Recipe: How to Make a Lime Marmalade | Lime Jam Recipe | Lime Marmalade Recipe
- Cherry Tomato Salad Recipe | Healthy Recipe 🍅 🥗
- Frio Mint – A Low Fat Mint Drink for Mint Lovers